Sometimes you just don’t have space for a big grill. Whether you live in an apartment, condo, on a boat or just don’t have a big patio, it doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy a good cookout. Try one of these smaller grills, gas, charcoal or electric to give you real grilling flavor and fun. Remember to check with the local rules where you live to know what kind of grill you can have. Most apartments don’t allow gas or charcoal grills. This list contains a wide range of types and prices.
Big Green Egg Small
For many, the Big Green Egg is the Weber of Kamados. They introduced Kamado cookers to the USA and are often viewed as the industry standard. The Small Egg is one size larger than their Mini Egg and has a 13″ diameter grate. Made in Mexico the BGE design is simple, it is built to last, and it has a limited lifetime warranty.
Round Kamados work as good as or better than standard charcoal grills for most recipes. They are, by design, excellent ovens and smokers because once the ceramic settles at the desired temperature, it stays there for hours. Eggs make great pizza ovens. Remove the grate and you can do Brazilian and Tandoori style cooking on long skewers, all standing vertically in a circle around the small, superhot fire. Open the bottom damper, remove the top damper completely, and turn your Egg into a roaring furnace with a column of flame shooting out the dome for searing thin steaks and burgers. (Shown right. Use caution if you try this technique.)
But they cannot be set up for true 2-zone cooking, an essential technique easily done on other charcoal grills by piling coal to one side to create a direct and indirect zone simultaneously. A few exceptions exist, such as Primo’s Oval Kamados.
2-zones provide rapid temperature control, enabling cooks to slide foods back and forth from cool to hot zones for crisping skin and reverse sear steaks. Even most kamado aficionados concede the best way to create different heat zones is moving foods closer to or further from the coal. This is typically accomplished using the many accessories available from BGE and third party manufacturers. One useful device that is a match made in heaven for kamados is the BBQ Dragon, a well-made, battery operated, clip on, variable speed fan that can convert a charcoal bed from quiet gray to rip roaring red hot in a matter of minutes. Very good for switching gears from low and slow to searing hot. We recommend using an ancillary charcoal grill for direct heat when doing 2-zone recipes. It can be a lot less expensive than buying a bunch of add-ons and much easier than trying to move hot, greasy parts around in the middle of a cook.
There is one indispensable device called the “Plate Setter” for all sizes except the Mini Egg. It’s a flat ceramic disk that sits directly over the charcoal. It absorbs and radiates heat so you have indirect radiant heat, but there is still no way to get convection heat as you can by building the fire on the side of a Primo Oval. The plate also prevents grease from spattering during the cook, which many believe produces a clean, less bitter flavor.
The exterior has an easy-to-clean green glaze bonded to the ceramic. The manufacturer claims that the modern ceramic material will not become brittle and can withstand 2,000°F, but we wouldn’t recommend knocking it over whether hot or cold. Ceramic is very susceptible to cracking.
The base holds an inner fire pit in the bottom of which is a charcoal grate. There’s a sliding damper on the outside for air to enter below the charcoal.
Above the fire pit is a fire ring, and that’s where the cooking grate rests. There are two metal bands that go around the top outside circumference of the base and the bottom of the lid and they are hinged together. Optional side tables can be attached to the bands. The lips of the lid and the base are covered with special felt for a good tight seal. On top of the lid there is a topper that controls exhaust and an optional “Dual Function Metal Top” with a dial that allows for more precise air control.
The vents can be left open for hotter cooking, or closed nearly shut to keep your charcoal smoldering for hours. Some owners claim if you set it up properly you will not need to add charcoal for 24 hours during a typical 225°F cooking session. You could put a pork shoulder in with a small amount of lit charcoal on top of some unlit charcoal, close it, and come back in 12 hours to a succulent clod of pulled pork. If you do have to add charcoal, you must lift out the meat and the grate to do it. That’s a bit of a pain.
There’s a dedicated forum of BGE users and it has a wealth of information like this: “Tighten the bolts on the stands after the Egg has been used five times” and “If you have a problem with grease sticking the felt shut when it’s cold, slip a Weber paraffin charcoal lighter cube in the bottom and wait for the warmth to release the opening. Then change the gaskets.”
Replacements for all parts are easily available. On the negative side, we have heard that gaskets need to be replaced after a few years, parts are expensive, and that customer service could be better.
Eggs are not sold on the internet and their prices are not quoted at their website, but they have a lot of dealers coast to coast. Our posted price does not include a stand.
Saber Cast 330 2-Burner Gas Grill Model R33SC0312Standard Features
- The SABER patented infrared cooking system for superior grilling performance: IR across entire cooking surface, even temperatures, no flare-ups, 30% less propane consumption.
- All 304 stainless steel (commercial kitchen grade), nonmagnetic
- Strong, stable, durable construction with welded tubular cart and firebox frames
- Shelves bolted to a tube frame provide solid work surfaces
- 304 stainless steel burners, grate system and emitters
- 2 Independent cooking zones for just the right amount of cooking space. Use one or two zones. Just the right amount of space.
- Front access grease tray for easy cleaning
- Simple cleanup: just burn off and brush away food debris
- Safe, easy natural gas conversion with SABER’s exclusive EZNG technology
- Fast assembly with 26 common fasteners
- SABER grate cleaning tool included
- 445 total square inches of cooking area (330 primary, 115 secondary)
- Enclosed cart with heavy duty 304 stainless side shelves
- 304 stainless steel lid with die-cast end caps
- 304 stainless steel tube burners (16,000 total BTUs)
- Grate-level temperature gauges allow grilling with the lid up
- Push button electronic ignition at each burner for reliable start-up every time
- Adjustable porcelain warming rack with storage and roasting positions
- Heavy duty 3-inch locking casters
Weber Q 3200 Gas Grill
- Sub Brand: Q3200 2 Burner
- Fuel Type: LP Gas
- Product Type: Grill
- Color Family: Titanium
- Heat Output: 21700 BTU
- Ignition Type: Electrical
- Assembled Width: 50.2 in.
- Grill Type: Patio
- Finish: Matte
- Assembled Depth: 30 in.
- Grill Material: Cast Aluminum
- Grill Light Included: No
- Catch Pan Included: Yes
- Heat Thermometer: Yes
- ANSI Certified: Yes
- Assembled Height: 55.5 in.
- Cooking Area: 393 sq. in.
- CSA Listed: Yes
- Tank Included: No
- Assembly Required: Yes
- Stainless steel burners. 2 pc. porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grate. Two folding work tables. One Grill-Out handle light. Operates on a standard 20 lb. LP tank (sold separately). Stationary cart included. Additional parts available refillable 20 lb. tank, Ace No. 8100018. Grill Cover Ace No. 8214033.
Weber Genesis II E-210
Let conversation be the centerpiece and good food bring you closer. Designed to fit on a small patio or balcony, the Genesis® II E-210 gas grill, equipped with the exclusive GS4 grilling system, is the perfect excuse for a night-in with your favorite someone.
- MAIN BURNERS: BTU-PER-HOUR INPUT26,000
- DIMENSIONS – LID OPEN (INCHES)61″H X 47″W X 31″D
- DIMENSIONS – LID CLOSED (INCHES)45″H X 47″W X 29″D
- PRIMARY COOKING AREA (SQUARE INCHES)380
- TUCK-AWAY WARMING RACK AREA (SQUARE INCHES)114
- TOTAL COOKING AREA (SQUARE INCHES)494
- STAINLESS STEEL BURNERS2
- FUEL TYPELIQUID PROPANE (20 LB. TANK SOLD SEPARATELY)
- SIDE TABLES2
- SWIVEL LOCKING CASTERS2
- DURABLE ALL-WEATHER WHEELS2
- TOOL HOOKS6
- BATTERY TYPEAA
- PORCELAIN-ENAMELED, CAST-IRON COOKING GRATES
- PORCELAIN-ENAMELED LID
- IGRILL 3 READY
- BUILT-IN LID THERMOMETER
- FOLD-DOWN LEFT SIDE TABLE
- OPEN CART DESIGN
- WELDED TUBE FRAME
- FUEL GAUGE – LP MODELS ONLY
- BOTTOM SHELF
- INFINITE CONTROL BURNER VALVES
- STAINLESS STEEL HEAT DEFLECTORS
Broil King Baron 3-Burner 320-S
- 3 stainless steel Dual-Tube burners deliver up to 30,000 BTUs, heating the grill quickly and evenly
- 440-sq in total cooking area: 330-sq in primary and 110-sq in warming rack
- Porcelain coated cook box with cast aluminum end caps provide superior heat retention, durability and longevity
- Reversible heavy-duty cast iron cooking grids deliver unrivaled searing performance; one side is pointed to give you perfect grill marks, while the other side is grooved to capture juices for continuous basting while cooking
- Stainless steel Flav-R-Wave cooking system fills the entire cook box, catching and vaporizing the drippings, and creating smoke for that distinctive barbecue flavor
- Linear-Flow valves with 180 degree Sensi-Touch control knobs give you infinite heat control allowing you to set your grill to the perfect temperature for searing, roasting or slow cooking
- The Sure-Lite electronic ignition offers you peace of mind knowing your barbecue grill will start quickly and easily
- The durable, stainless steel side shelves are designed to quickly and easily fold down for convenient storage in tight spaces
- Proudly Made in North America
Solaire Anywhere Portable Infrared
The Solaire AllAbout is perfect for tailgaters, picnics, RVs, camping, boating, balconies & backyards – anywhere you want great tasting, juicy grilled food. This USA made table top grill features two Solaire infrared burner, which heats up in just three minutes to searing hot temperatures that lock in the juices. This grill has the exclusive Solaire V-grate, which improves flavor & virtually eliminates flare-ups. It also has a warming rack that is integrated into the hood that provides a “parking” area for meat and veggies and can be used for warming buns.
The only assembly is to attach the handles (6 bolts) & the four adjustable feet; otherwise this fully-welded all-type 304 stainless steel grill is ready to use out of the box. It operates out of the box on a standard 20-pound propane BBQ tank (not included), and can be used on natural gas with the natural gas Conversion kit (item #SOL-AA23NGC). The hood, which protects the burner during transport and storage, has spring-loaded latches. The Solaire AllAbout is a grilling machine that gives you the great flavor of an intensely hot charcoal fire with the control, convenience and consistency of gas.
Become the undisputed Wizard of the campsite, the envy of your parking lot, & the Hero of your family when you serve them juicier, more flavorful food then they’ve ever tasted from an ordinary grill.
- Real infrared ceramic and stainless steel burners (2) with electronic push-button ignition
- 253 square inches of grilling area that fits twelve 4-inch burgers on special v-grate that improves flavor and virtually eliminates flare-ups, plus 96 square inches of warming rack area
- Use on a tailgate, table, or tripod accessory (item #SOL-AATRI)
- Grill weighs 41 pounds and measures 26.13 wide by 20 deep by 11 inches high with hood down, and 26.13 wide by 22.75 deep by 22.75 inches high with hood up
- Use with 20 lb. BBQ Propane Tank (not included).
- USA made grills by a 100+ year old family business.
Char-Broil Patio Bistro Infrared Electric Grill
- Sub Brand: Patio Bistro
- Fuel Type: Electric
- Product Type: Grill
- Color Family: Red
- Heat Output: 12000 BTU
- Tank Included: No
- Assembled Height: 38.2 in.
- Ignition Type: Electrical
- Cooking Area: 320 sq. in.
- Grill Material: Porcelain
- Assembled Width: 25.2 in.
- Grill Type: Patio
- Assembled Depth: 24.4 in.
- Grill Cover Ace Number 8269284.
KitchenAid 2-Burner Gas Grill Model# 720-0891B
This durable KitchenAid Gas Grill is built with premium corrosion resistant materials to provide years of entertainment. The small footprint and foldable side shelves make it perfect for the griller with limited outdoor space. The heavy duty stainless steel wrapped cooking grates provide a surprisingly large cooking area. Our stainless steel burners and angled flame tamers reduce flare-ups and create Even-Heat across the entire grilling surface.
- 2 stainless steel main burners
- 26,000 Total BTU’s
- Premium stainless steel cooking grates
- Angled Even-Heat flame tamers
- Individual burner continuous electronic ignition
- Porcelain main Lid
- 458 sq. in. Total Cooking Surface
- Oversized temperature gauge
- Foldable powder coated side shelves
- Tank hole
- 4 casters for easy mobility
- Dual energy valves and natural gas orifices LP only
Char-Broil Advantage 2-Burner Gas Grill Model# 463642015
Make your deck or patio the place to be with this Char-Broil Advantage 2-burner gas grill. You can easily prepare all your favorites on 420-sq in of cooking space. The warming rack offers a place to keep your food at serving temperature until it’s time to eat. The electronic ignition will have your grill fired up in no time, and the top-ported burners help control the temperature for even heat. The folding side shelves offer a convenient place to hold your grilling accessories, and make storage easy when it’s time to shut down for the evening. Cleaning up won’t take long with the easy-to-clean cooking grates, and the enclosed cabinet for storing your cooking tools. This way, you can enjoy more time with family and friends.
- Liquid propane gas grill features a fully-enclosed cabinet for storing all your grilling essentials
- 420-sq in total cooking area: 300-sq in primary and 120-sq in warming rack
- 1-year limited grill warranty and 5-year limited burner warranty
- Easy-to-clean porcelain-coated cast-iron cooking grates and stainless steel burner are durable
- Two 20,000-BTU main burners
- Electronic ignition for quick and easy start-ups
- Folding side shelves provide prep space and convenient storage
- Top-ported burners help you control the temperature
Weber Q-1400 Electric Grill
Restyled for 2014, the Weber Q 140 is now the Weber Q 1400. The grill has the same great performance and sleek styling, but adds new aesthetics that are both functional and fun, including larger grip handle and control knobs, ergonomic side handles, sturdy front and rear cradles plus the familiar Weber Q logo branded in the lid. The Weber Q 1400 Electric Grill raises the bar on flavor expectations and performance of an electric grill. Sear burgers, steaks and chops; grill chicken, fish, vegetables and fruit on the porcelain enameled cast-iron grates. The Weber Q 1400 grill is fully featured, yet space saving and portable just the ticket for grillers living in condos or any residence where restrictions govern gas and charcoal grill usage.
- 189 sq. in. total cooking area
- 1560-Watt; 120-Volt
- Porcelain enameled cast-iron cooking grates; infinite heat control settings for cooking at any temperature
- Cast aluminum lid and body; glass-reinforced nylon frame; 6 ft. grounded cord; removable catch can
- Quick assembly
- Additional Weber Q accessories available (sold separately)
- For questions regarding replacement parts or service inquiries, please contact Weber customer service at 1-800-446-1071 or email [email protected]